- What to do and see
Hotel near Santa Guilia in south of Corsica
Beach and relaxation
|Sports and recreation
|History and culture
Discover these idyllic beaches not far from the Porto Vecchio hotel
Relaxation is the key word: fine white sands, sunshine, transparent waters and umbrella pines, a wonderful combination for an unforgettable holiday in Corsica.
In no more than10 minutes to the south of Porto Vecchio you reach the Bay of Santa Guilia, an exceptional setting with its fine sandy beach. The paradisiacal beach of Palombaggia and its limpid waters, umbrella pine trees and white sand is equally stunning. Pinarello to the north is one of the longest stretches of beaches in southern Corsica and is equally a haven of peace.
As well as several beach bars and restaurants you will also find many water sport activities such as jet ski hire, pedalos, boat trips and diving clubs.
Porto Vecchio's town centre is a short stroll from the hotel; wander around the quaint streets, shop in the wide choice of boutiques or head down to the marina and enjoy an ice-cream while admiring the luxurious boats and yachts.
Trekking in the Ospedale Massif, plunge into the unbelievably transparent waters, mountain biking in the Alta Rocca, horse-riding around Quenza: Corsica is an extraordinary playing field which lends itself to many sporting activities.
Mountain side :
- The renowned GR20 is a perfect trek for those who love walking in the rugged countryside.
- Discover the Ospedale Massif with its reservoir, the waterfall at Piscia de Gjaddu, the quaint hamlet of Cartalavonu, first stage of the Mare to Mare (sea to sea) trail, a trek which is easier than the GR20 and ends at Propriano. The Corsican Mare to Mare trail crosses the island from the east coast to the west.
- In the heart of the mountainous Alta Rocca region, the Aiguilles (sharp peaks) de Bavella and the grandiose surrounding scenery is not to be missed.
- At the foot of the Aiguilles de Bavella, the pretty village of Quenza is worth a visit : from here you can reach the plateau of Coscione , Incudine and Asinao.
- Southern Corsica is a hiker's dream but those who wish to do mountain biking, horse riding, canyoning rafting, climbing and tree climbing are also well provided for.
- Southern Corsica's rich seabed is particularly renowned and well preserved. It is both an beginner and experienced diver's paradise. The marine nature reserves at the Lavezzi islands are particularly stunning: flora and fauna abound in a completely preserved site, which is part of the Bouches de Bonifacio natural reserve. All along the shoreline there are a good number of diving centres.
- All aboard for a boat trip to Sardinia or to explore the nearby bays and islets. The hotel can suggest boat hire with a skipper.
- Sea lovers can also enjoy many other water sports such as kite surfing, sailing, surfing, jet skiing, water-skiing , fishing etc;
- And not to be left out, golf lovers will be delighted with the internationally renowned Sperone Golf course, near Bonifacio in a spectacular setting between the coast and the mountains.
The BEST WESTERN Alcyon Hotel is the ideal place for visiting the City of Salt and its surroundings. In the heart of the old town perched upon a hill, visit the citadel, fortifications, ramparts, Genoese archway and various small squares. Built on a huge boulder, the fortress centres around the town square,Place de La République, THE place to be!
Near Porto Vecchio, in the heart of the mountains, the prehistoric site at Cucuruzzu is well worth a visit as is the Alta Rocca Museum in Levie.
Not to be missed is Bonifacio, the stunning edified town perched on a cliff above its bustling marina, about 20kms away. There is a wealth of things to do in this most southern of French town.